My name is McKenna. This is my blog of my chronicles living in Puebla, Mexico teaching with the ILP program from January- April of 2011. What a GREAT experience I had!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nothing Catchy

This blog was created for the purpose of talking about my Mexico adventures.

The things I do, the people I meet, the thoughts I have on the Mexican economy and such....

Maybe not that last one.

Although I have slacked for the past week or so at putting anything about my adventures, today I feel the need to simply talk about myself.

Is that OK with everyone?

Girls. We have these days. And frankly, I need some me-time. I could save you all the time and simply go buy myself a chocolate bar or something but I am going to be tough and resist the urge (or Mexican chocolate juuuuust doesn't really do it for me). Plus I just want to get some really personal things out on the table for the whole world to see. It's the world we live in folks.

It's OK. I'll be gentle.


I am missing home, alot.

I miss America, and all it's fantastic homey-ness to it. I've always loved being an American, but now more-so than ever I appreciate what it is to be an American. I'm not at all trashing on Mexican lifestyle here, but home is home, and America will always be my home. This doesn't mean I'll never travel again, because you know what? I believe that every single person needs to travel at least once in their lifetime. In fact, why is this sort of thing not demanded by our Government? Our society as a whole would be a much more open-minded, understanding, and appreciative one if we all had to get kicked out at some point for some good ol' global traveling.
I've lived in many different places within the States, and have liked every single one of them. Whether it's the warm beaches and rainy-winters of Southern California, or the frigid cold of Rexburg, I have a deep love for all the places I have been.

There is something about living in America that is deeply rooted in me and makes me feel so incredibly blessed to be a part of it. It's the freedoms, the history, the versatility, the melting pots that are some of our Nation's biggest cities. Maybe it's partially because of all the stares I get when I'm here that make me feel like I'm an important person just because of my birth certificate, but our capabilities and potential as a community are incredible. Absolutely incredible. I can go and do anything I would like, and I feel that because I was raised the way I was and where I was- I have the drive to as well.
It is sad to see so much potential and opportunity wasted on un-motivated people. One thing I've learned here in Mexico is that if you want to do something, YOU GET UP AND DO IT. Self-doubt seems much less prominent here, and I've no idea why.
All of my host siblings want to be doctors and CEO's of major coorporations. By the time I was 12, I wanted to be a secretary. A daggum Secretary people. What kind of flame-burning-inside-of-me-towards-success is THAT?? No offense to all of the secretaries out there. But if you don't dream big, you tend to stay small. And maybe that's where some people are content. There are many humble people out there who find happiness in a simple job that either works with their skills, or allows them to interact with people or maybe some other small quirk that they find attractive about it.
What I'm saying is we have a gift. So please, I implore all of you to do something today that shows your appreciation for America. Put your hand over your heart and whisper the anthem in the shower, recycle your soda cans, watch the East Wing (just kidding), have a BBQ complete with corn on the cob and a fruit salad, or go to a baseball game and sing your guts out during the 7th-inning stretch (I miss you Dodgers Stadium, your Dodger dogs... not so much).
It doesn't have to be big. Maybe thank your mom for not flying somewhere like China before you were born so you could have dual-citizenship.
OK. I'll stop on this subject before it gets more ridiculous.


I am having the absolute time of my life here. But here is a list of things that I miss, and maybe you'll find something that you can appreciate more.


  1. My pillows 
  2. The BYU-Idaho gym, and it's free-ness
  3. My family
  4. My roommates
  5. Cooking my own food
  6. Porter Park
  7. BYU-Idaho in general
  8. American fashion
  9. Driving
  10. Hot showers
  11. American comfort foods
  12. Church in English (you thought YOU could fall asleep in Sacrament? Psh.)
  13. Walking into a grocery store and knowing where to find everything
  14. Walls w/o graffiti
  15. Target
  16. Talking with people from home face-to-face
  17. The popular-ness of playing cards
  18. Bookstores
  19. Stores in general
  20. All of my friends
  21. American traffic. Lemme tell you, Mexican drivers? Muy loco.
  22. Sammy's
  23. Mashed potatoes
  24. Pools without yucky in them
  25. Walking down streets. I can't explain this one. I walk here all the time. I just miss it.
All in all though, it's worth it to miss all of these things. This experience is helping me in ways that I can't really even see right now. And I LOVE that I have the opportunity to be with such incredible people and experience some really cool things. So that when I have kids, I have the license to say "You NEED to get out of the country. Trust me."

Yup. It's all worth it.

Just in case you've all been incredibly bored for this little tid-bit. I have a present for you! Here are some pictures from last Friday night when me and the girls got bored so we decided to buy some really cheap shoes and make them all Mexican to take home with us. Little home-made souvenirs you could call em :)


My shoes before. Which I would totally wear as is.






Finished product. Although I made some adjustments not shown.



Happy little English teacher.



p.s. Thanks Dad, for not flying Mom to China before I was born. I'm sure you were tempted.




3 comments:

  1. I love you. I miss you more than words will ever be able to satisfy, and I adore your shoes. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have artistic talent, girl! If I drew on shoes, it would look like a 6-year-old did it (no offense to the 6-year-olds out there--LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing blog! when brett served his mission in brazil he grew to appreciate and love america even more. my mom's from philippines and i am SOO glad my parents decided not to live there! i sure would like to visit though...

    ReplyDelete