My name is McKenna. This is my blog of my chronicles living in Puebla, Mexico teaching with the ILP program from January- April of 2011. What a GREAT experience I had!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

New Developments


I feel the need to, yet again, apologize for my absence from the blogging world. 
And its very ironic whenever I slack on blogging, because it's usually around a time that I really really should be blogging.

But to be honest?

I'm OK with not having kept up very well. Because I have been enjoying myself more than I ever have in my whole life.
I wish I could convey to you all how much I absolutely LOVE it here in Puebla.
The city is big and exciting, the people are friendly and diverse, the culture is traditional and yet refreshing, and I thoroughly enjoy just taking walks around my neighborhood.
And I am genuinely sad that it has almost come to an end.

It's somewhat typical that the best part of the trip would be so close to when its over, but I'm OK with that, because a part of me feels that that is how it should be. 
So here's some pictures to take you through the last few weeks and some of my favorite experiences.
Mexico, I love you.



For those of you who don't know, I got bangs. And yes, I cut them myself. All hairdressers reading this are now cringing (sorry Jacque!!) But I wasn't left with much of a choice, and my bangs were getting dangerously long. So I took a pair of the best scissors I could find, went into the bathroom and took care of business. And may I just say that I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome...




On a trip to a neighboring city called Tehuacan, we went to a privately owned zoo that we had heard about from past ILP teachers. We heard a rumor that it was frowned upon by our program to visit, but there wasn't any rule against it and there was a good sized group of us- so we felt safe enough to at least check it out. I though about why it might be frowned upon to go while I was in the zoo, and the only reason I could think was that a zoo like this would never exist in the States. Many codes and violations would have been broken. We were petting and feeding white tigers, grizzly bears, jaguars, lions, monkeys, snakes, buffalo, camels and seriously- all KINDS of animals!! It was incredible! Total once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
And best of all, I made a new friend.



This is Kata. The owner of the zoo told us she didn't have a name, and that we could name her. So, Kata. Do I think he will keep this name? Doubtful. Did it take away from my excitement? Not at all.

We also went to Lucho Libre.

Now before I tell you something, I have to say in my defense that the only experience I had to relate any sort of Lucho event was watching Nacho Libre.
It is because of this that I forgot that Lucho Libre, in all its flashy spandex glory- is completely fake.
They pretty much dance around the ring in choreographed "fights" doing some cool flips and jumps. 
And I ate ate up every single minute of it.


These guys won the big match. We were rooting for them and even gave them nicknames which I cannot write on the internet. Mr. 80's hair on the right wore cute little spandex that said "RUSH" on the bottom. Complete with his knee high tassle boots and shiny hair, he immediately became my favorite.

Gotta love Lucho.


I mentioned last post that it was Carly Kay Berg's Birthday!
We put together a super cute surprise dinner for her on the upstairs patio of our school, complete with, streamers, kid-sized tables and chairs, apple cranberry cider, my 'Bolivian' salad, fresh whole grain bakery bread, and of course- confetti cake and cupcakes. It wasn't technically confetti because they don't actually have confetti cake here (CRAZIES!!!!!!) so we bought vanilla cake mix and put rainbow sprinkles in it :)

But the best part of the Birthday was being able to uphold the Berg family tradition for Birthday's!
Every Birthday in Carly's family, whoever happens to have gained another year looks forward to not one but two delicious confetti cakes. One for everyone to eat and enjoy, and another to have your face smashed in. 

I, being as kind-hearted as I am, volunteered to help keep the tradition alive even though Carly's family wouldn't be able to do the honors this year.




I actually think that this brought us closer together.



I like this picture a lot. I really feel like it does explain our relationship in some way. 


I apologize if at times the way I talk about Carly makes us sound like a married couple, but you have to understand that I spend 22 hours a day with this girl.

And lemme tell you, it is rouughh.

Just kidding Carl.

She's the easiest person in the whole world to live with.


Some of the group during dinner :)
It really was a spectacular meal.






The newest development in my life?




Ugh. Heartstrings. 




You see those faces?


They pretty much mean the world to me right now.
Teaching has been one of the most, if not the most, rewarding experiences in my life.

From left to right, Joaquin, Aylen, Cesar and Diana, have been the source of some of the most tender emotions I have ever felt.
They are sweet, smart, and they try so hard every day to get better.

And I have enjoyed every minute that I have spent with them.
As our time comes to a close, I've been thinking back on the progress we've made in reading and it was blown me away. They're ability to absorb knowledge baffles me, and I feel so blessed to be a part of it.
I would like to credit myself with some of their progress, but really, any other person could have and would have done just as good a job, if not better than me. They just needed someone to keep pushing them on. And it is going to be so hard to leave them but I find myself with so much hope for their futures. I want them to take this skill that they have learned with me and use it to do really great things with their lives. It makes me feel so great inside knowing that their futures will be bettered because of this program. I don't know what they will do, what schools they'll go to, or jobs they will have- but I would like to be bold enough to say that something, some experience, job, relationship or some other small thing, will go much better for them because of the time that ILP volunteers, like myself, have put into teaching them every day.















What a great experience this has been.






2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post, you're freaking cute. i would love to go to a lucho libre haha. sorry you're having to leave mexico so soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've had the most amazing adventure - what a shame that you have to leave Mexico soon but I'm sure you'll treasure the memories of the time you've spent there forever :)

    Oh, and you did an amazing job on your bangs! Every time I've cut my own it's been a disaster.
    xox,
    Cee
    http://cocoandvera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete